Friday 29 March 2013

both and neither academic or artistic

I wish somebody offered me a job just like that, after a short email exchange.

I wish to offer you a job.

It is a peculiar response to your request for more information, I realize, but I ask you to consider my proposal with an open mind.

I know a degree about you from my formal inquiries (I hope you don’t mind, but I couldn’t risk error). And your response encouraged me to conclude that you’re exactly the person I’m looking for.

My needs are uncomplicated. I wish to employ a bright, able-bodied person with the right kind of eye to help me locate some very specific art works.

You fit those requirements admirably, and I’m inclined to believe that you are at a stage in your career where you need an extra challenge.
The job I’m offering you will require resourcefulness, imagination, willingness to travel, plus a deep love of artifact. The salary would be substantially higher than the one you receive at present.
I don’t think I’ve misjudged your potential for change.
Professional researchers are all well and good, but this is a task that requires a subtle sensibility that is both and neither academic or artistic.
Nick Bantock, The Venetian’s Wife ; highlighter mine

No comments:

Post a Comment